. . . See you on Wall Street*
*who ever thought I’d be living on Wall Street?
Posted 29 September 2011, by Staff, BBC News, bbc.co.uk
They treated people injured when a protest movement calling for more rights for the country’s Shia majority in the Sunni-ruled kingdom was crushed.
But a spokesman for the government said the group was involved with “hardline protesters” who sought regime change.
The medics had been released on bail after many staged a hunger strike.
In a separate case, the special security court sentenced a protester to death for killing a policeman.
The Bahraini doctors and nurses were sentenced to between five and 15 years in prison on charges that include possessing unlicensed arms, seizing medical equipment, and provoking sectarian hatred.
All worked in the Salmaniya Medical Complex in Manama, which security forces entered on 16 March after forcefully clearing the nearby Pearl Roundabout of demonstrators.
Sheikh Abdul Aziz Bin Mubarak, of Bahrain’s information ministry, said protesters had used the hospital as a “co-ordination centre”, and that some of the medical staff had helped them.
“They should not have got themselves involved in choosing sides in a tragically dark period in Bahrain’s history,” he told the BBC.
“There is hard evidence that political rallies were taking place in the grounds of the complex and those seeking treatment were only allowed in on sectarian lines,” he added.
Human rights activists say the sentences against the medics come as a surprise.
They had been cautiously hopeful that the medics’ release on bail was a sign that the government was softening its approach.
One of the doctors charged, Fatma Haji, said she and her colleagues are currently saying goodbye to their families as they await arrest.
“I know that I am definitely, 100% innocent. Our crime – I’m talking about all the medics – was that we helped innocent, helpless people who were just protesting and got injured,” she told the BBC.
The medics were also accused of refusing to treat injured security officials.
Relatives of some of the medics said in June that they were tortured into making false confessions.
A wave of mostly peaceful protests swept the country in February and March, but they were put down by force by the government, which called in troops from neighbouring Gulf states.
However, skirmishes are reported regularly as protesters try to keep their movement alive.
Bahrain’s official news agency, BNA, said the protester sentenced to death, Ali Yusof al-Taweel, had killed a policeman in the Shia area of Sitra, south of Manama.
Earlier, the security court had sentenced two other protesters to death for killing a police officer.
On Wednesday, the court upheld life sentences for eight Shia activists convicted over their alleged role in protests.
It also upheld sentences of up to 15 years on 13 other activists.
(Ed Note: Please visit the original site for two news videos associated with this article (“In a video recording for her son, one of the doctors, Fatma Haji, maintains her innocence” and “Sheik Abdulaziz Bin Mubarak Al Khalifa from Bahrain’s Ministry of Information: ”No-one is above the law””))
Posted 28 September 2011, by Paul Harris, The Guardian, guardian.co.uk
There were socialists, anti-poverty campaigners, students, anarchists, computer hackers, the unemployed, and workers ranging from a vet to an accountant.
And, numbering around 200 and meeting to plot until late in the night, a group of Bostonians have decided to recreate the anti-Wall Street protests that are gripping New York.
Unlike previous attempts, such as a march that fizzled out in Chicago with just 20 people, the people behind Occupy Boston showed a strong dose of media savvy and organizational skill on Monday night, as they drew a committed crowd of volunteers to their cause: to occupy a slice of the city. Local TV crews were in attendance at the evening mass planning meeting, and it had been flagged on the front pages of Boston’s newspapers.
The move raises the first serious prospect of the Wall Street protests spreading beyond New York and comes as other events are also being planned in Los Angeles and Washington.
Organiser Marissa Egerstrom addresses the Boston general assembly
The crowd of Bostonians listened and spoke about their anger at the ills in the capitalist system in general and the financial industry in particular.
Gathering in the center of Boston Common, in the heart of the city, they heard various speakers promise to copy the New York protests. “Tonight we begin to show the world how to live in freedom and peace. Right here, right now, a new life is starting,” said Marissa Egerstrom, one of the organizing forces behind Occupy Boston.
Those were big words to say in front of just 200 people. But Occupy Boston aims to emulate Occupy Wall Street protesters, whose seizure of a downtown Manhattan park was first ignored by most of the media but has now generated headlines around the world, especially after police used pepper spray against peaceful women demonstrators.
Matthew Krawitz explains why he is joining the Boston protest
Many of those gathered on the Common, including nearly all the key organizers, had been to New York to witness the protests. One organizer, Matthew Krawitz, who brought his two daughters to the Common, had been in Manhattan for the first day of the protests there. Now the unemployed IT expert was helping set up something similar in Boston. “I’m here to give them a better future,” he said, referring to his two children.
In style and substance, Occupy Boston closely followed that of Occupy Wall Street, which was itself inspired by recent social movements in Spain and Arab countries. After the speeches different tactical groups were formed – covering everything from legal affairs to food to medical to media outreach – to prepare for the coming occupation.
Potential sites to be occupied included the Common itself and Dewey Square in Boston’s financial district. Potential dates were also picked, with some as soon as this coming weekend. The separate groups operated in a “leaderless” style that dragged on in often circular debates but were impressive for eventually coming to collective agreement.
The meetings lasted for several hours in the park, as crowds listened to rabble-rousing speeches and critiques of capitalism. It promised a striking protest to come, but at times offered an incongruous vision of Boston. Ringing the common where the protesters met are some of the most upmarket streets in the city, lined with million-dollar townhouses. And on the park itself, virtually next door to where scores of people talked of forcefully bringing down American capitalism, fellow Bostonians enjoyed games of tennis on brightly lit late-night courts, seemingly oblivious to what was going on in the darkness just 50 yards away.
But what was never in doubt among the disparate participants was a sense of outrage and injustice at America’s current economic woes. Bob Norkus, 54, had been out of work for a year. He has one simple desire. “Things need to be realigned. It’s 99 percent of us versus one percent of them. This is still a democracy if we care to grab it,” he said.
There were people with jobs in the crowd, too, and they were equally angry. Cynthia Brennan, 41, is a veterinary nurse. She had been inspired to come to the common by watching the popular revolts of the Arab Spring. “I was fascinated by Egypt. I was in front of al-Jazeera all the time. It needs to happen here,” she said.
Local government accountant Tim Larkin, 28, agreed. But he wanted to improve on the New York protests in Boston. “We have to be better than New York and have a stronger set of demands,” he said.
Posted 29 September 2011, by Angelbabe43, Angelbabe43’s Blog, angelbabe43.wordpress.com
TO SEND FOOD AND GOODS DIRECTLY TO THE PROTESTERS, FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE DIRECTIONS:
GO TO www.delivery.com AND CREATE AN ACCOUNT.
THEN- Enter this address into the space provided: 146 2 AVE NY,NY 10003.
NEXT- Click on Village Farm Grocery. Choose the items you would like to send, and add to cart.
Enter your payment information.
NEXT- enter the following into the DELIVERY section:
OCCUPY WALL STREET
1 LIBERTY ST
NY, NY 10006
INSERT “GROUND” FOR UNIT
INSERT *TIFFANY PL* FOR CROSSTREET
INSERT 212-475-7521 FOR THE PHONE
WE WILL TRY TO PUT AS MANY ORDERS ON THE LIVESTREAM AS POSSIBLE, BUT AS THE ORDERS INCREASE IN VOLUME, THIS WILL BECOME DIFFICULT.
ORDER YOUR DONATION AND WATCH IT GET THERE!
WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF STREAMLINING THE ORDERING PROCESS WITH V.F.G.. AND WILL HAVE THAT READY SOON, FOR NOW DONATIONS ARE POSSIBLE IN THE ABOVE METHOD.
THIS COMPANY HAS DECIDED TO WORK IRECTLY 24/7 WITH O.W.S. TO HELP SUPPLY THE PROTESTERS. THEY GET EXTRA BUSINESS, AND O.W.S. GETS A DIRECT SUPPLY LINE FROM AROUND THE WORLD. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR DONATING TO THIS NOBLE CAUSE. WE ARE THE 99%!
Posted 29 September 2011, by Ahni, Intercontinental Cry, intercontinentalcry.org
A group of displaced Triqui women from the Autonomous Municipality of San Juan Copala, have been forced by the government of Oaxaca to suspend their peaceful sit-in which began more than 12 months ago.
According to The Autonomous Community Council Of San Juan Copala, the government recently threatened to violently remove all women and children from the main plaza in Oaxaca city, where they have lived since August 2010.
San Juan Copala initially agreed to suspend the sit-in temporarily as part of a new agreement with Oaxaca government.
At the center of the new agreement, at least for the Triqui, is the right to return to the town of San Juan Copala, which Triqui Authorities evacuated just one month after the sit-in began.
The evacuation was ordered after paramilitaries threatened to execute all supporters of the autonomous municipality. Having already endured seven months of violence and inhumane treatment at the hands of the same paramilitaries, the Triqui simply couldn’t take the chance of ignoring the threat.
In addition to the right to return home, the newly formed agreement with Oaxaca included an understanding that the Triqui would suspend their sit-in for two days to make way for the “Grito de Independencia” celebrations on September 16. In exchange for this, the government promised to give the Triqui women and children temporary lodging; after which they could return to the plaza.
“But as is well-known of those who fail to govern this country, if anything distinguishes them it is their lack of honor… police fenced in the palace corridors preventing us from sitting in, and we were called again by the same officials who bring lies and deceit in order to present us with the offer of another round table,” said the Community Council in a Sept. 20 statement. The officials also asked the Triqui for ten days to respond to their principle demands.
“Not being capable of more resistance actions, and because our movement is one of peace and dialogue we again agreed with the warning [of returning to reinstate the camp]” said the Community Council.
However, they also decided to issue their a deadline of September 30th, giving the government more than enough time to adequately respond to the demands.
If the government fails to do so, the Triqui say they are going to reestablish the sit-in “at any cost” and where everyone “will take responsibility for what might happen.”
September 20, 2011
TO THE INDIGENOUS PEOPLES OF OAXACA AND MEXICO
TO FRIENDS IN SOLIDARITY
TO SOCIAL ORGANIZATIONS
TO THE “OTRA CAMPAÑA”
TO THE HONEST MEDIA
Sisters, brothers we wanted to take a few days before sending word to let you know the reason why, after more than one year, we suspended the sit-in in the corridor of the government palace.
We did this in response to the hateful and false statements towards our dignity which some people have expressed in anonymity, which is the mask of cowards, and once it was known that the sit-in was suspended they started spreading an account that some of our people received money in exchange.
Throughout the resistance that has been principally sustained by women and children displaced from San Juan Copala, we have received a helping hand from many friends who selflessly decided to discretely walk with us in our fight, always respecting our decision.
As a result, we have received the cooperation that helps us with expenses, medical care and the company of brothers and sisters that have been with us at all times enduring the difficult conditions under which you live when you have no home and you live practically out in the open, and as if this were not enough there was the constant threat of eviction, especially with the prior government during which we were displaced on two occasions with the police force, to all of these friends we extend our heartfelt appreciation and promise that we have not sold out nor have we surrendered, simply that confronted with the threat of violent eviction of the sit-in on the part of the government, our Autonomous Community Council which are a part of our authorities, and that were here to strengthen our sit-in, made the decision that we do not have the ability in this moment to resist a violent eviction, because we do not want to jeopardize the physical integrity of anyone that is a part of our sit-in.
It is for this reason that on the evening of September 14th, we agreed to leave, accepting in only return a place to spend two nights because the agreement with the government’s representatives was that on the morning of September 17th we could reinstate the sit-in, but as is well-known of those who fail to govern this country, if anything distinguishes them it is their lack of honor and if they don’t have honor, then even less so do their words and that is why on September 17th we intended to reinitiate the sit-in, but police fenced in the palace corridors preventing us from sitting in, and we were called again by the same officials who bring lies and deceit in order to present us with the offer of another round table, then asked us for a period of 10 days to respond to our principle demands, not being capable of more resistance actions, and because our movement is one of peace and dialogue we again agreed with the warning on our part that if it didn’t happen before the 30th of this month, we will sit-in at whatever cost and that each individual will assume the responsibility of what happens to them, for this we call on those who have stood with us to await for the 30th, and to those who are interested in antagonizing and creating division we tell you that your words may create doubt in another of our friends who are not evil without realizing it, thus helping those you claim to be fighting.
INDIGENOUS DIGNITY CANNOT BE CHEAPENED OR SOLD
MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER TO ACHIEVE PEACE WITH JUSTICE AND DIGNITY
AUTONOMOUS COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF SAN JUAN COPALA
September 20, 2011